Statement of Work
A statement of work or SoW is a document that defines the various aspects of a program or project. It defines work activities, deliverables, key metrics (KPIs) as well as the deployment timetable for a given program or project.
A critical function of the statement of work is to ensure all stakeholders have a common understanding of the work required, staffing requirements, and the expected outcomes of the work. Because the statement of work is both comprehensive and precise, it is the foundation for all participants in the program or project to execute the work specified.
An SoW will include most, if not all, the following sections:
- Project/Program Rationale
- Scope of Work
- Project/Program Tasks
- Deployment and/or Operations Milestones
- Deployment and/or Operations Deliverables
- Deployment and/or Operations Schedule
- Project/Program Standards and Key Performance Indicators
- Project/Program Success Definition
- Deployment and/or Operations Requirements
- Project/Program Commercial Terms
- Project/Program Closure (if required)